Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Caprese Omelet

When I was in Italy several years ago, almost every day I would order a Caprese salad for lunch or dinner. More simply put: fresh tomato, fresh basil, buffalo mozzarella, olive oil and some salt and pepper. Absolute perfection. Well, this morning I had that authentic Italian craving, so I whipped up an omelet, Italian style.


Ingredients:
-1 egg, 1 egg white, mixed
-1 TB extra virgin olive oil 
-few slices fresh buffalo mozzarella cheese
-3 basil leaves, fresh if you can
-1/4 cup chopped fresh plump tomato (I bought mine at the farmer's market)

1. Coat frying pan with olive oil on medium heat and then pour egg mixture onto pan.
2. Once slightly cooked (bubbling), top half the egg with tomatoes and basil leaves.
3. Lastly, add the cheese and cover for a minute until thoroughly melted.
4. Flip one side over to form the classic omelet shape, serve and enjoy! : )

*Pair with some fresh fruit (I had 1/2 sliced grapefruit) and a piece of toast!



0 comments: