Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Homemade Chive 'n' Herb Hummus


A while back, one of my reader's asked for a recipe for homemade hummus. To tell you the truth, I hadn't attempted making it until last night. And boy did it turn out delicious...so delicious that I'm actually thinking of never buying store-bought hummus again (well unless I'm realllllyyy craving it and have no chickpeas on hand). Anyway, I used some of the basic hummus ingredients, with a little extra flare to spice it up. I enjoyed my hummus as a side with cucumbers, salad, and baked pita with feta!

-1 15 oz can garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
-2 TB olive oil
-1 TB sesame seed oil (tahini)*
-juice of 1/2 lemon
-2 cloves garlic, crushed
-1 TB dried oregano
-1 TB dried parsley
-1 to 2 TB fresh chives, chopped
-salt and pepper to taste
*start with 1 TB and add more to taste

1. Drain the chickpeas and place into a large bowl. Mash up with a fork to soften.

2. Add chickpeas into a blender or Cuisinart and start to blend, slowly creating a hummus-like texture. Add in lemon juice, tahini, and olive oil and blend well.

3. Once mixture is well blended and smooth, add in the herbs, salt and pepper and blend on low for another 30 seconds.

4. Serve with chopped veggies or pita chips and enjoy : )

0 comments: