Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Eggplant Parmesan


Good news, you fellow vegetarians! This recipe is both veggie-friendly and delicious.  By following my little tips, you can make it gluten-free as well. I made it for my family for dinner tonight, and got back from the gym to find the entire dish devoured!

Recipe*serves 4

-1 large eggplant (Pealed, cut into circle-wedges)
-Approx. 1/2 cup breadcrumbs (I made my own breadcrumbs with 2 toasted gluten free waffles)
-1-2 eggs with dash of water
-About 1 cup shredded fresh Mozzarella cheese 
-Olive oil for greasing the pan
-About 24 oz. tomato sauce (I made my own with crushed tomatoes, oregano, basil, fresh parsley, garlic, olive oil, crushed red pepper and sugar to taste)

1. Preheat oven to 375, and grease large baking sheet with olive oil.

2. Prepare eggplant (peel and slice), and then dip each piece into egg mixture, then plate full of breadcrumbs and place onto baking sheet.

3. Bake for 15-20 minutes, then flip and bake for another 15 minutes or until breadcrumbs are browned,

4. Once eggplant is done, heat the oven to 400 as you fill a casserole dish with 1 cup marinara sauce. Layer eggplant on top, and then coat with the rest of your marinara sauce so all the pieces are covered. Then, top with the mozzarella cheese, making sure all pieces are covered.

5. Bake for another 20 minutes and enjoy!

Serving Tip: I served the eggplant Parmesan on top of a Spinach Artichoke Flour Fettuccine that I bought in the health food column at Stop and Shop. The pasta tasted great in a light lemon, garlic and olive oil sauce. Add cream and some Parmesan cheese if desired for more of an Alfredo taste. Just know that you're ending more cals as well if you choose that option!

0 comments: